Friday, December 28, 2007

The After

Christmas has come and gone and I'm in my usual post-Holiday ugh. I don't want to call it a slump, because that's not entirely accurate and I don't have the luxury of time required for a slump what with the Muffins nearly killing each other at every pass.

The Holiday went well for the most part. I've had a rather massive sinus infection for the past week and it hindered my pre-Christmas progress, but I pulled off a pretty great meal, making it all myself - mashed potatoes excluded. My sister M made them and, as already established, I can take 'em or leave 'em. Last year I didn't serve mashed potatoes at all. Who needs 'em when I make a killer sweet potato casserole (sans marshmallows, thankyouverymuch). By the time we sat down to Christmas dinner I was too tired and my sinuses were too stuffed to allow for much appreciation of my efforts so it wasn't until Wednesday night that I was able to truly enjoy the fruits of my labor in the form of leftovers. I did, however, make a very nice creme brulee french toast breakfast for J and me that I will absolutely be repeating for New Year's morning.

The Muffins weren't terribly interested in opening their gifts, but they loved having company over and were particularly enamored of the shiny ornaments on the tree. #1 is in love with his new stuffed Elmo and #2 is a bit territorial of the play kitchen (sometimes charging #1 from across the room in order to prevent his messing with her "cooking"), but the kidlets are enjoying their new loot and finding new and creative ways to fight over toys and torture each other (and me to some extent).

J and I are enjoying the Wii and we downloaded the original Super Mario Brothers and Adventure Island, the two classic NES games that I love to play. I'm a bit tired of leftovers at this point and am looking forward to something different. I don't know what our New Year's plans are - I rather hate New Year's and think it a frivolous Holiday - but we'll most likely treat ourselves to the traditional Chinese food (why is it that pretty much everyone orders Chinese food on New Year's Eve? We discovered one year - quite by accident - that apparently no one goes out for Chinese on New Year's Day, though.). I tried to get J to invite his sister and her family down but he wouldn't. I don't particularly enjoy my SIL's company, but she's been down lately and I thought a change of scenery might do them some good.

I'm looking forward to this four-day weekend and hoping it goes by very slowly.

OK, time to have another bite of fudge.

No comments: