Tuesday, May 20, 2008

I'm A Little Bit In Love

I love going to the gym, but had begun to feel that I could be getting more out of my time spent sweating and stinking it up. The gym offers a "results" membership where, for $30 more a month, you work with a personal trainer who develops a routine unique to your needs. $30 more a month may sound like a lot, but you actually get 12 session for $360, while 10 sessions - not as part of the "results" package - normally cost $499. I talked with J about upgrading my membership and he was skeptical at first, but then decided that I should go for it.

So I did.

I decided to work with the female trainer, figuring that she was a tad more knowledgeable in the whole having kids department (and, since we're still trying to get pregnant, I though this was a plus). She'd been away for the past couple of weeks, so even though I decided to upgrade my membership nearly a month ago, our first meeting wasn't until yesterday. Yesterday was a bunch of paperwork and talking about goals and some strength testing. Afterwards, she developed a routine for me. We met again today to determine my target heart rate zone (turns out I've actually been working out a little too hard and therefore not maximizing fat burn potential - who knew?) and then she showed me my routine.

I LOVE IT!

Granted, she's got me using the machines in the "dude area" (where the uber-serious weight training goes on), so I was a little unsure about that at first, but I can already feel a difference and it feels so damn great. I am so excited about stepping up my workouts and challenging my body in this new way. The best part? The trainer was truly surprised and impressed by my strength. The direct quote was, "Uhm, yeah, so you're a lot more fit than your numbers indicate. I'm very pleased with how strong you are." (This, after I successfully did the 12 deep lunges (24 total) -without complaint - that she thought might be problematic for me...and I didn't have an issue with the crunches (traditional and reverse!), either. Yep. Looks can be deceiving. I'm not just a fat chick. I'm a strong fat chick who can hold her own.

*********

I'm also more than a little in love with our new dishwasher. Holy hell it's pretty and it's soooo quiet!

No comments: