Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Recent Goings-On

We've been battling one sickness or another over the past week in the W house. #1 tends to be the more sickly kidlet and he was hit the hardest last week with a fever that lasted a few days, some pretty good lethargy and then a good bout of diarrhea. #2, in her usual way, just had a runny nose for a couple of days. As for me, I feel as though I've been fighting with the same sore throat/sinus infection combo since the beginning of November and it's driving me a more than a little crazy. J, too, has been feeling as though he's got some low-level sickness thing going on.

Now, though, the Muffins are coming out of it and life is somewhat returning to normal. Except for the fact that I can't leave the room for more than 5 seconds without #1 pulling #2's hair. I'm almost to the point of pulling my own hair out for lack of not knowing what to do about it.

But here's what else has been going on....

Fat chick joins the gym: Yep, that's right. It sounds dreadfully like a New Year's resolution, which it totally isn't, but I did join the local Gold's Gym a couple of weeks ago. And I LOVE IT! The timing was just right. I cooked up a plan for my Mom to come down to watch the kids (the gym does have childcare, but I don't want to use it yet - if ever) on the weekdays that I go to the gym. This gives Mom a great reason to get out of the house, lets her have some solid Nana-on-Muffin time with the kids, and allows me the opportunity to get out of the house and get some exercise. I don't have any set goal in mind, other than getting into a good, healthy routine of getting out and moving at least 4 days a week. I love the variety of people that I've seen at the gym - all shapes, sizes and ages - and I love that I'm not the only one leaving red-faced and sweaty. I have to admit I'm more than a little addicted and would go every day if I could.

Would you like to come over for dinner? I've instituted traditional Sunday dinners. When I was growing up, Sunday dinners were a big deal and I want to carry that on and instill a sense of tradition for my family. I feel as though it sets a nice tone for the week ahead and it's a good opportunity to try out new recipes. I still haven't decided on this Sunday's meal, though. Any suggestions (I don't eat seafood, though)?

Fresh veggies and bread to come: We were lucky enough to get in on the local CSA this year and I'm so excited. We're going to split a family share, including bread, with Mom and my sister, M. J's a little concerned that we'll have more veggies than we'll know what to do with, but I'll be resourceful. Plus, the Muffins love veggies.

Random bits: I've succeeded. And, is anyone else tweaked out by the whole cloned meat thing? We actually don't eat a ton of meat, but I'm skeeved out by the idea of cloned meat. Especially since it doesn't have to be labeled. I know that tonight's beef stew was clone-less, but in the future I think I'll be purchasing my meat from the Co-op. Lastly, I've decided on an Elmo theme for the kids' second birthday (which, yes, is still a couple of months away but will be here before I know it). Originally, I was going to do a farm theme, but they are so in love with Elmo (#1 especially - it is so sweet to watch him try and feed hist stuffed Elmo!) that I think it makes more sense to hold off on the farm theme until next year. Now, the question is...will they be traumatized if they eat an Elmo-shaped cake?

No comments: