Thursday, July 10, 2008

A Year And A Day

Yesterday was my blogiversary, which I didn't forget per se. I just thought it was today. Oh well. I'm here now. I was thinking about the blog yesterday. In fact, believe it or not, I think about it quite often, but just don't get to sit down and write nearly as often as I'd like.

Anyway, this is also my 150th post (I just love even numbers, don't you?). I know, I know. I'm a slacker poster, and I won't pretend that I've been pleased to see that nearly all of the blogs I check in with on a regular basis have been posting less frequently. I don't feel so all alone. Plus, I never promised daily updates. I did promise more frequent updates, and I really do try. It's just that I wonder whether or not what I have to say really is worth saying sometimes (and, the inverse is true, in that I sometimes I fear what I do have to say and therefore just avoid saying it). Fear not, though, my spotty posting will go on!

We've been busy lately. The kids are in a really interesting place. Going out in public with them is nearly impossible. They pretty much refuse the stroller or a cart and insist on walking. Well, that makes it pretty damn difficult for Mumma to take the Muffins anywhere. And even when J and I are both with them, life isn't significantly easier. Liam and Ella are very sociable and want to see everything. Stopping to consider why there aren't anymore oatmeal teddy grahams? Well, no! Not on their time! Trying to pick out a welcome baby card for KL's new baby girl? Liam and Ella will have none of that. Keep them moving! Show them the world! So, yeah, shopping trips are hell and are kept to a minimum. Going out to eat, however, has gotten easier. Both kids have developed an affinity for chicken and enjoy feeding themselves. (My favorite trick? Order their food asap upon being seated so that it comes out first, has time to cool and then Mumma and Daddy can enjoy their meal once it arrives...the kidlets are fed and happy (usually still munching on something) and you aren't trying to cut up bites of chicken in between shoveling food in your mouth before stopping an impending meltdown).

To be honest, it's not actually going places that's the real problem. It's leaving. I've got the most beautiful, friendly, intelligent children in the world. Until it's time to get back into the van and head to our next destination. Then they are demon children. With the strength of Herucles and the speed of Mercury. Try to lure them into their carseats and you're in for a workout, my friends. Liam can grab onto the outside of the van and twist out of his seat like nobody's business. Ella kicks like a Rockette on speed and can turn on the tears (and screams!) in a flash. A new diversionary tactic is to switch them up. They enjoy the novelty of sitting in the other's seat so that helps in a pinch, but it's a good struggle to leave anyplace 9 out of 10 times.

Don't even get me started on the battle of wills that is changing Liam's diaper as of late. Of course, he was an angel for his father tonight while getting ready for bed. Earlier today? He nearly had me in tears.

In other news, work has begun on the house. The roof is nearly finished (we needed to have the garage and porch redone...the main house was done 5 1/2 years ago) and work begins on the deck tomorrow. I am so damn excited to have a deck! The siding and windows will be done in a couple of weeks and I cannot wait to have it all done. For years I've been dreaming about getting this work done (well, OK, not the roof - that was J's concern; we lost some shingles after the marathon winter we had so he was a little paranoid about getting it redone) and now it's happening!

As I mentioned above, KL had a beautiful, perfect baby girl on June 30th. I hadn't even mentioned that she was pregnant, but I'm thrilled that S is now a big sister and their family is complete. I've cleared out an area so I can make up the baby's quilt since we won't be seeing them until we head up to VT for Nurse and I's civil union at the end of August. I have time, but not much.

Speaking of babies, our attempts to add to our family haven't yet been successful. We're in a bit of a holding pattern and I'm not sure how I feel about that. I can rationalize it from here until next year why our family is perfect the way it is and I fully recognize how absolutely blessed we are to have two healthy, beautiful, vivacious children, but, selfish jerk that I am, I want more. More of the good, the bad, the sleeplessness, the insanity, the carseat and diaper changing battles and more of the love, the sweetness and the wonder that is watching little people grow. The only way I can describe it is that I no longer feel empty, the way I did before I had Liam and Ella, but I don't yet feel complete. Makes sense to me.

Alright, enough of my blathering. Next Friday we're taking the Muffins (and C - whose real name is Caitlin, btw) to Day Out With Thomas. I'm hoping it goes better than amalah's experience. I'm sure it'll all be great...until it's time to get in the car to head home.

Be well, and here's to another year!

No comments: